Saturday, February 24, 2007

Question 7 Animal Farm

*Are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? Or disturbing? Or memorable? Describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you.

I hardly found a beautiful setting in this story but if I was to depict one, I would choose the big barn where the animals had their first assembly with Old Major. I choose this setting extremely attractive because it was the very first time the animals united as one with a common vision. At this time the Old Major motivated the animals to start a revolution and the animals agreed with him collectively. Another impressive scene illustrated in this story is when Clover made a wall around the ducklings with her forelegs, which lost their mother, to protect and comfort them. The strong helping the weak instead of disregarding warmed my heart. Finally, the reason why I found this setting beautiful is that the farm was a classless society in the beginning. All animals were equal, there were no assigned seats, and had freedom of speech. Equality looked peaceful and delightful to me. However, later in the story, things slowly started to change and Napoleon executes four pigs, three hens, a goose, and a sheep after their confession. This scene was most disturbing to me. I was quite shaken and frightened of their cruel retribution. One of the seven commandments in the beginning was “No animal shall kill any other animal,” But Napoleon later changes it to “No animal shall kill any other animal without cause” It portrays that deep inside; they carry violence of some sort and causes brutality to over power and achieve their goal. I felt miserable at this setting because there was no one who was opposed to his actions. Everyone seemed to be cowards, not being able to say the right things. I was hoping that they would oppose and strongly stand up for their rights but unfortunately, nobody was able to and I was very disappointed at how naive they can be.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I never thought of other setting except for the farm. I like your setting choice. I went to lots of blogs and read the answer in question #7. And everyone except for you wrote about the farm as a setting. I totally agree that the barn was unique because every animal were united. Also that was the only moment that every animal felt equal and has hope. The barn is very memorable in the first chapter , but as the time pass this place become where pigs work and do lots of bad stuffs. But it didn’t last long which was very sad. Again I really like your setting that you have chosen!!

k said...

I agree that you said it is hard to find beautiful settings in this novel. The first meeting that Old Major held sounded to me it is very viable and respected. If Old Major did not die, he could have kept the 7 commandments rigid and there would be no conflicts between other animals. I felt this meeting was exciting but when knew Old major died, my mood was in despair and worries. I think the beginning of this novel was very beautiful and memorable, which made me feel like not able to wait till the consequence.