Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Q.5 Lord of the flies

5*what is the mood of this novel? Do you find this novel saddens you in any way? Why?

The beginning of this story was quite peaceful and beautiful. They didn't worry about their future at all and they were just simple and innocent children. They acted democratically without any anxiety at first. However the mood of this story began to change and eventually the mood became extremely dark. We can easily find negative mood through out the story. While I was reading the book, Lord of the flies, I felt that I was also marooned on the island. The moment that I felt like this I was scared about the boys (especially Jack and Roger) and the evil. Yes, this story is fearful, dark and depressing. But this is not all. I also found that this novel saddens me. When the boys’ behavior gradually changed fiercely I was terribly sad. For example after they divided into two groups, Jack and the boys (who belong to Jack) started to force the other boys to be in their group. It shows dictatorship of human-beings. After that, they wore a mask of savagery. It means that they started face painting for hunting. This reminded me of the movie 'mask' where the hero of this movie kept changing one's personality whenever he wore the mask. The boys were just like this movie character. That illustrates how human are weak and how we can be changed without the rules. I know that man is a social animal. However when we are separated from the society, then human's rationality and logic easily disappears. We change into ferocious animals and forget about the civilization.

No comments: