Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Q.6 Lord of the Flies

6*Please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you. Why is this passage meaningful? Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.

The three boys walked briskly on the sand. The tide was low and there was a strip of weed-strewn beach that was almost as firm as a road. A kind of glamour was spread over them and the scene and they were conscious of the glamour and happy by it. They turned to each other, laughing, Simon stroked Ralph's arm shyly; and they had to laugh again.
"Come on," said Jack presently,
"we're explorers."
"We'll go to the end of the island", said Ralph,
"and look round the corner."
"if it is an island--"
(Pg.27)


This passage was significant and also meaningful to me because this was the only scene that I found to be pure and respectable. The boys had no bad intentions to each other and they were united in one mind. At this period, they called themselves as explorers and were willing to find whether the piece of the land was an island or not. Their thoughts were the same as a triplet. They didn't fight or even be hateful towards each other. Walking by the seashore they laughed and chatted as a real friend. It made me to thought that they are lucky. I wanted to go into this story and enjoy the peace and freedom with these boys. Imagining the boys, Ralph, Jack, and Simon, walking one by one made me to wear a smile. By walking one by one they looked very integrated to each other. I couldn't find any evil side or darkness upon them, but only trust. They were just so friendly and lovely to each other, which made my heart warm. I think this is why I put my hopes to the boys that they will help and respect each other and be rescued without a hitch. However, the story goes the opposite with what I expected before. As I hoped of a beautiful and smooth story, it doubled my disappointment. They changed as a savagery and started to harm each other. Comparing to the opening of the story, the later situation was reserved. I could not believe that these close friends became an enemy to each other at later on. The sight made my heart heavy, but touched it at the same time.

1 comment:

ANDREA said...

I agree with you. The more boys have explored the island, they became evil and dirty. In this passage they are just little boys who miss their parents, wanting to go home, but also wanting to do some adventure on this island. They actually respected each other and cared about them. Towards the end, boys totally lost their pureness and went wild, acting like an animals.